Welcome to the first in a series of blog posts in which I will be reviewing some of the most popular educational iPad apps available on the Apple App Store.
Today I have been trying out Pirate Treasure Hunt: 8 Challenges. Pirate Treasure Hunt is a fantastic application that combines a variety of mini-games with different educational themes, from spelling words using coconuts to weighing out gun powder. Each mini-game that the child completes, progresses them through the game to help Pirate Jack find his treasure. Using this app to support a specific lesson or learning objective is difficult due to the variety of mini games but it is a perfect application for use in an independent learning exercise, especially if you are teaching through a Pirate theme.
Key learning objectives
- Students analyse problems by using a range of strategies, including interpreting clues, intuition, and trial and error.
- Students solve problems by using literacy and numeracy skills.
- Provides opportunities for students to solve problems using their literacy and numeracy skills within the context of a pirate treasure map.
- Encourages the use of trial and error to discover the correct sequence of problem solving.
- Includes a variety of problem types which focus on, for example, spelling, shapes, visual cues, word knowledge, addition of numbers and time.
- FREE to download.
- Well designed and built with fun animations and informative narration.
- A well defined game objective with key milestones, for instance – you cannot explore the dark cave until you have found a lantern.
- Very responsive user interface with no visible bugs.
- Limited replay value as there is only one mini-game per zone on the map and they all have preset objectives. (the letters on the coconuts are the same every time)
- Reports in the App Store that the app crashes in certain places although i was unable to reproduce these errors so chances are that they have fixed it.
A fun app that has room for improvement but as it is a completely FREE app with no required in-app purchases it is definitely worth downloading.
Click Here to download this app from the App Store now.