Australia Day, the official national day of Australia, takes place on 26th January. Although the day is on a Saturday this year, here are 10 great resources that you could use in the classroom before or after the event.
1) The Australia Day site has lots of background information about the day, as well as pages about the events that are taking place. There is also a special ‘Education and Games’ section with a number of learning resources. This page has LOTS of free printables that you can download.
2) The BBC’s fantastic Learning Zone has over 50 video clips about Australia.
3) There are a number of new teaching resources linked to Australia on Teaching Ideas.
4) Communication4All also has a special page of resources about the country.
5) Teacher’s Pet have some wonderful reference posters giving information about aboriginal people.
6) There is a page of information about Australia, and particularly about school in Australia, on the Woodlands Junior School site. How is it similar / different to your own school?
7) Learning Games for Kids has lots of links to games and interactive activities about Australia.
8 ) The Activity Village site has a number of craft ideas, as well as printable resources, to use on Australia Day.
10) DLTK Kids also have a large collection of activity ideas and printed activity sheets for teachers to download.
Will you be celebrating Australia Day?